We all know the stats. Open rates for emails often suck.
In an era when inboxes are flooded with emails on a daily basis, all screaming for attention, how do you get noticed?
Email communication is the norm. But getting people to open your emails and to engage with the content is a challenge. In an effort to help you improve your open rates, we’ve decided to post a three-part series on improving your email open rates. Today, in Part 1, we are offering you seven tips to help you write enticing and engaging subject lines.
Your subject line may just consist of just a few words but, just like the headlines in print media, it is the most important part of your email. If you haven’t captured the reader’s attention and created some intrigue, it is unlikely that your email will be opened.
Here are seven tips to help you with your subject lines:
1. Be sure that you are offering your audience something of value. Avoid providing rehashed content that can be found anywhere on the Internet.
2. If you have something great to offer, be direct. You don’t need to add fluff.
3. Get your readers attention by creating some intrigue. Don’t reveal the whole story.
4. Make sure that your subject lines are personal. Treat your reader like a friend and your email is more likely to be opened.
5. Don’t get hung up on grammar. I know, I’m one of those folks who is a bit of a stickler for correct spelling and grammar. But in some cases it pays to be more conversational. You’re not writing an essay; you’re communicating a message. Just be sure that your message is clear and that you’re not confusing people (for instance, affect and effect have completely different meanings).
6. Experiment with your subject lines. Regardless of the email service you use, you should have the option for A/B testing. Try out different lines and see what gets you the best open rate.
7. The golden rule is to always offer quality content. If your subscribers are used to getting great content from you, you’re more likely to get a great open rate even if your subject line isn’t the best.
Until next time…
Are you ready to grow your business now? If you’re ready to take the next step and make your business more profitable, call me directly at 403-879-4297 or email me at email@example.com
If you like the information you are receiving, please consider forwarding this post.